Follow GuyMacPherson on Twitter

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Canadian Comedy Awards


You may have noticed the change in description in the above banner a couple months ago. My how time flies. Yes, What's So Funny? was nominated for Best Podcast at the Canadian Comedy Awards. The five nominees were decided by jury – and hey, being nominated is as good as winning, right?! That's what I keep telling myself. But the actual award winner will be selected by... YOU! You, the people. If that sounds a bit like a popularity contest, I'm hooped. But we have our fans, too. And if each one of those fans goes to canadiancomedy.ca and registers to vote, then actually votes, and votes for What's So Funny?, and then tells two friends to do the same, and they each tell two friends, and so on and so on, we actually stand a chance!

So what are you waiting for? It takes all of a minute to register, and even less to vote, unless you want to listen to the submissions for each nominee. You only have until 11:59 ET (8:59 PT) on Sept. 13 to make your vote count.

I like that each nominee in our category is stylistically different. It's a great cross-section of what a comedy podcast can be. Also, three of the five nominees are based in Vancouver: us, The Sunday Service Presents: A Beautiful Podcast and last year's winner Stop Podcasting Yourself (the other two, based in Toronto, are Ward and Al and Illusionoid).

The awards are handed out on Oct. 6. I'd love to go out to Ottawa to be a part of the three-day mini-festival and record some episodes, but that's an expensive trip (unless there are any sponsors out there who'd want to send me). But I'll be happy just knowing you took the time to vote for us. And if we lose and they don't announce who finished second, I'll be able to say I did. Because how would they know?

No comments: